IBS and Lactose-free
Peer & Patient Review
To provide guidance and advice for people with IBS symptoms and/or suspected and/or proven lactose intolerance.
The Target Group will understand what IBS is, and:
- that symptoms may be aggravated by diet, lifestyle and/or other factors including stress
- have regular, balanced, varied meals based on healthy eating principles of the Eatwell Guide
- that over-restriction of food or food groups should be avoided
- will understand how to modify their fibre intake.
Lactose-free resource learning outcomes:
- The TG will know what lactose is and how to identify foods that contain/are likely to contain it.
- The TG will know what the symptoms of lactose intolerance are, and that people can have varying and changeable tolerance levels.
- The TG will understand that intolerance is not an allergy and the role of lactase in symptom control
- The TG will know how to start and build a reintroduction plan to control their symptoms
The TG will be aware of the dietary risks of eliminating lactose and be able to implement guidance to reduce these risks.