Healthy Living with Diabetes
Healthy Living with Diabetes
Please note that you must register or log in to purchase this resource.
|NDR-UK Ref No:||9223|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
A comprehensive guide summarising healthy eating with diabetes for adults. Ideal for use during an annual dietetic consultation and/or to complement resources from NDR-UK's adult diabetes range.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
- To encourage and promote self-management of diabetes.
- To support the patient/client in adopting better dietary practices, which in turn can help avoid long term complications.
- Promote general health and wellbeing.
- The Target Group will understand the key principles of diet and lifestyle approaches to managing diabetes.
- The Target Group will be aware of 9 points to maintain and improve health.
- Ajala O. English P. Pinkey J. Systematic review and meta-analysis of different dietary approaches to the management of type 2 diabetes. American Journal Clinical Nutrition (2013) 97;3:505-16.
- Bantle JP, Wylie-Rosett J et al. Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care 2008, 31 (1);S61-78.
- Diabetes UK Evidence-based nutrition guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes. Available at www.diabetes.org.uk/nutrition-guidelines. Diabetes UK, May 2011
- Dyson P. Kelly T. Deakin T. et al. Diabetes UK evidence based nutrition guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes. Diabetes Medicine (2011) 28;11: 1282-1288
- Dyson P. Low Carbohydrate Diets and Type 2 Diabetes: What is the Latest Evidence? Diabetes Therapy ( 2015) 6;4:411-424
- Emadian et al The effect of macronutrients on glycaemic control: a systematic review of dietary randomised controlled trials in overweight and obese adults with type 2 diabetes in which there was no difference in weight loss between treatment groups. British Journal of Nutrition, 2015 (114) 10; 1656-1666
- Esposito et al, A journey into a Mediterranean diet and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review with meta-analyses. BMJ Open 2015;5:e008222 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008222
- Evert A. Boucher J. Cypress M et al. Nutrition therapy recommendations for the treatment of adults with diabetes. Diabetes care (2014) 37S; S120- S143
- Franz et al, Lifestyle Weight-Loss Intervention Outcomes in Overweight and Obese Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2015; 115: 1447–1463
- Franz MJ et al. The Evidence for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Type1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Adults. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2010, Dec, 1852-1889
- Gepner et al, Effects of Initiating Moderate Alcohol Intake on Cardiometabolic Risk in Adults With Type 2 Diabetes: A 2-Year Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2015;163(8):569-579. doi:10.7326/M14-1650
- Mann J, De Leeuw I et al. Evidence-based nutritional approaches to the treatment and prevention of diabetes mellitus. Nutrition, metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases 2004, 14; 373-394.
- Shukla A. Iliesku R. Thoams C. Aronne L. Food Order Has a Significant Impact on Postprandial Glucose and Insulin Levels. Diabetes Care 2015;38:e98–e99
- SIGN Guideline 116 - Management of Diabetes (2010 (2014)) SIGN, 2010 www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/116/index.html
- Thomas D, Elliott EJ. Low glycaemic index, or low glycaemic load, diets for diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2009) Issue 1
- Type 2 diabetes in adults: management. NICE guidelines (NG28) www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG063Guidance.pdf. December 2015
- Type 2 diabetes: The management of type 2 diabetes
- NICE guidelines [CG87] Published date: May 2009
- Wang Q. Xia W. Zhao Z. Zhang H. Effects comparison between low glycemic index diets and high glycemic index diets on HbA1c and fructosamine for patients with diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Primary Care Diabetes, 2015, 9, 5, 362-369