|NDR-UK Ref No:||9379|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
Information to be used as part of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) programme. Simple guidance advising people on carbohydrate loading to enhance recovery after surgery.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
To enable clients and their carers:
- To understand that dietary measures can improve surgical outcomes through pro active nutritional care before, during and after surgery to improve outcomes and facilitate speedy recovery.
- To apply the dietary advice.
Target Group are aware of the dietary measures they can take to improve their nutritional status before during and after surgery to improve outcomes and facilitate speedy recovery.
- Ahmed J. Khan S. Gatt M. et al. Compliance with enhanced recovery programmes in elective surgery
- Awad S Fearon K. Macdonald I. Lobo D.A randomised cross over study of the metabolic and hormonal responses following two preoperative conditioning drinks, Nutrition (2011) 2710:983-942
- Awad S. Varadhan K. Ljungqvist O. Lobo D. A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials on preoperative oral carbohydrate treatment in elective surgery, Clinical Nutrition 32 (2013) 34e44
- Bianchini C. Pelucchi S. Pastore A. Carlo V. Feo •C. Ciorba A. Enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) strategies: possible advantages also for head and neck surgery patients? European Archives of Otorhinolaryngology (2014) 271:439–443
- Chao L. Ferri L. Mulder D. et al An enhanced recovery pathway decreases duration of stay after esophagectomy, Surgery (2012) 606- 616 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.07.021, colorectal surgery, British Journal of Surgery 2010; 97: 754–758
- Fearon K. Ljungqvist O. Von Meyenfeldt M.et al Enhanced recovery after surgery: A consensus review of clinical care for patients undergoing colonic resection, Clinical Nutrition (2005) 24, 466–477
- Fearon K. Luff R. The nutritional management of surgical patients: enhanced recovery after surgery, Proceedings of the Nutrition society (2003) 62:807-811
- Gustaffson U. Scott M. Schwenk U et a. Guidelines for perioperative care in elective colonic surgery: Enhanced RecoveryAfter Surgery (ERAS_) Society recommendations Clinical Nutrition 31 (2012) 783-800
- Kehlet H. Mythen M. Why is the surgical high-risk patient still at risk? British Journal of Anaesthesia (2011) 106; 3: 289–91
- Lassen K, Soop M et al Consensus review of Optimal perioperative Care in colorectal surgery. Archives of Surgery 2009 144 ( 10 ) 961 – 969
- Lewis, S.J., H.K. Andersen, and S. Thomas, Early enteral nutrition within 24 h of intestinal surgery versus later commencement of feeding: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2009. 13(3): p. 569-75.
- Lucas D. Gough K. Enhanced recovery in obstetrics – a new frontier? International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia (2013) 22, 92–95
- Maessen J. Hoff C. Jottard K.et al To eat or not to eat: Facilitating early oral intake after elective colonic surgery in the Netherlands, Clinical Nutrition 28 (2009) 29–33
- Meale P. Cushion J. Ten top tips on designing, developing & implementing an enhanced surgical treatment & recovery programme (ESTReP), Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care 21 (2010) 125e128
- Mechteld A.Vermuein M. Richir M et al. Gastric emptying glucose metabolism and gut hormones: evaluation of a common preoperative carbohydrate beverage, Nutrition (2011) 27;9:897-903
- Nasraway S. Albert M et al Morbid obesity is an independent determinant of death among surgical critically ill patients, Critical care medicine 34;14;964-907
- Noblett S. Watson D. Huong H. et al., Pre-operative oral carbohydrate loading in colorectal surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Colorectal Disease 2006. 8(7): p. 563-9
- Nygren J. Thacker J. Carli F.. Fearon K. Norderval S. et al Guidelines for perioperative care in elective rectal/pelvic surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society recommendations, Clinical Nutrition 31 (2012) 801-816
- Sanziana H.Roman S. Sosa J Obesity is a Predictor of Morbidity in 1,629 Patients Who Underwent Adrenalectomy, World Journal of Surgery (2011) 35:1287–1295
- Scott N. MacDonald D. Campbell J. Smith R. et al. The use of enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) principles in Scottish orthopaedic units—an implementation and follow-up at 1 year, 2010–2011: a report from the Musculoskeletal Audit, Scotland, Archives of Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery (2013) 133:117–124
- Soop M. Nygren J. Ljungvist O. Optimizing perioperative management of patients undergoing colorectal surgery, what is new? Current opinions in critical care (2006) 12:166-170
- Starke J. Schneider H. Alteheld B. Stehle P. Meier R.Short-term individual nutritional care as part of routine clinical setting improves outcome and quality of life in malnourished medical patients, Clinical Nutrition 30 (2011) 194e201
- Tonnesen H. Nielsen P et al Smoking and alcohol intervention before surgery: evidence for best practice. British journal anaesthesia (2009) 102;3: 297-306
- van Dam R .Hendry Coolsen et al. A Initial experience with a multimodal enhanced recovery
- Varadhan K. Neal K. Cornelius H Dejong C. Fearon K. Et al The enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway for patients undergoing major elective open colorectal surgery: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, Clinical Nutrition 29 (2010) 434–440
- Wainwright T. Middleton R. An orthopaedic enhanced recovery pathway, Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care 21 (2010) 114–120
- Wykes K. Taylor K. Wilkinson S. An investigation into the perioperative nutritional management of open colorectal surgery patients in major Australian hospitals: a comparison with the ERAS guidelines, Nutrition and Dietetics (2013) 70: 175–180
- Yuill K. Richardson R. Davidson H. Et al. The administration of an oral carbohydrate-containing fluid prior to major elective upper-gastrointestinal surgery preserves skeletal muscle mass postoperatively—a randomised clinical trial, Clinical Nutrition (2005) 24, 32–37