|NDR-UK Ref No:||9388|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
Guidance to support people with HIV on how to manage changes in body shape, including those caused by antiretroviral medication (ARV).
Please be aware that this product has been reviewed with no content changes required. The next review date is 2020, with alterations made to reflect this upon reprint.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
- To explain the benefits of exercise for managing body shape and weight depending on symptoms, risks and personal goals when living with HIV.
- To explain the role of diet in lipodystrophy (e.g. weight gain with lipoatrophy, preventing further weight gain in central adiposity etc).
The target group will understand:
- what lipodystrophy is and its symptoms are
- the importance of getting measured to track any changes in body shape/fat distribution
- the impact of wasting (loss of muscles/fat)
- the potential dangers of enhancement drugs
- the benefits of exercise.
- Choe PG, Choi HJ, Kim NH, Park WB, Song KH, Bang JH, Kim ES, Park SW , Kim HB, Oh MD, Kim NJ, High prevalence of low bone mass and associated factors in Korean HIV-positive male patients undergoing antiretroviral therapy. Journal of International Aids society (2014) 17;1:18773
- d'Ettorre G, Ceccarelli G, Giustini N, Serafino S, Calantone N, De Girolamo G, Bianchi L, Bellelli V, Ascoli-Bartoli T, Marcellini S, Turriziani O, Brenchley JM, Vullo V, Probiotics Reduce Inflammation in Antiretroviral Treated, HIV-Infected Individuals: Results of the "Probio-HIV" Clinical Trial. PloS one 2015, 10(9):e0137200
- Dolan SE; Kanter JR; Grinspoon S (2006) Longitudinal analysis of bone density in human immunodeficiency virus-infected women. Journal Of Clinical Endocrinology And Metabolism (2006). 91; 8: 2938-45. 006 May 30.
- Drain PK; Kupka R; Mugusi F; Fawzi WW (2007) Micronutrients in HIV-positive persons receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AM J CLIN NUTR), 2007 Feb; 85(2): 333-45
- Grobler L. Siegfried N, Visser M. et al Nutritional interventions for reducing morbidity and mortality in people with HIV. Cochrane database Feb 2013
- Ingle K. Gage-O`Brien S.The importance of the integration of a registered dietitian in the care of HIV positive patients Journal Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (2014) 114;9S: A 33
- Johns K, Beddall MJ, Corrin RC. (2005) Anabolic steroids for the treatment of weight loss in HIV-infected individuals. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2005 Oct 19;(4):CD005483.
- Koss C. Natureeba P. Nyafwono D. et al Brief Report: Food Insufficiency Is Associated With Lack of Sustained Viral Suppression Among HIV-Infected Pregnant and Breastfeeding Ugandan Women. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2016 Mar 1;71(3):310-5
- Mankal P. Kotler D. From Wasting to Obesity, Changes in Nutritional Concerns in HIV/AIDS Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America (2014) 43;3:647-663
- Ngo-Matip ME, Pieme CA, Azabji-Kenfack M, Biapa, Germaine N, Heike E, Moukette BM, Emmanuel K, Philippe S, Mbofung CM, Ngogang JY. Effects of Spirulina platensis supplementation on lipid profile in HIV-infected antiretroviral naïve patients in Yaounde-Cameroon: a randomized trial study. Lipids in Health and Disease 2014, 13:191
- NICE – Clinical Knowledge Summary 2015, HIV infection and AIDS - How should I manage acute HIV-related problems?
- Rivas P; Górgolas M; García-Delgado R; Díaz-Curiel M; Goyenechea A; Fernández-Guerrero ML (2007)Evolution of bone mineral density in AIDS patients on treatment with zidovudine/lamivudine plus abacavir or lopinavir/ritonavir. HIV Medicine Feb 2008; Vol. 9 (2), pp. 89-95. Date of Electronic Publication: 2007 Dec 18
- Sattler FR; Rajicic N; Mulligan K; Yarasheski KE; Koletar SL; Zolopa A; Alston Smith B; Zackin R; Bistrian B (2008) Evaluation of high-protein supplementation in weight-stable HIV-positive subjects with a history of weight loss: a randomized, double-blind, multicentre trial. The American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition 2008 Nov; Vol. 88 (5), pp. 1313-21.
- Succomanno M. Ammassari A. Bone disease in HIV infection Clinical cases Miner. Bone Metabolism (2011) 8;1:33-36 Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (2015) 68 Supp.3S340-349
- Tang A. Quick T. Chung M. et al. Nutrition assessment, counselling and support interventions to improve health related outcomes in people living with HIV/AIDS: a systematic review of the literature. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. 2015 Apr 15;68 Suppl 3:S340-9.
- Wohl DA; Tien HC; Busby M; Cunningham C; Macintosh B; Napravnik S; Danan E; Donovan K; Hossenipour M; Simpson RJ Jr (2005) Randomized study of the safety and efficacy of fish oil (omega-3 fatty acid) supplementation with dietary and exercise counselling for the treatment of antiretroviral therapy-associated hypertriglyceridemia. . Clinical Infectious Diseases: An Official Publication Of The Infectious Diseases Society Of America 2005 Nov 15; Vol. 41 (10), pp. 1498-504. Date of Electronic Publication: 2005 Oct 11
- Woods MN; Wanke CA; Ling PR; Hendricks KM; Tang AM; Knox TA; Andersson CE; Dong KR; Skinner SC; Bistrian BR (2009) Effect of a dietary intervention and n-3 fatty acid supplementation on measures of serum lipid and insulin sensitivity in persons with HIV. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2009 Dec; 90(6): 1566-78 (60 ref)
- Wright L. Epps J. Nutrition risk and complications in HIV AIDS: the impact of food security, Topics in Clinical Nutrition (2014) 29;4:288-293