Fortified drink recipes
Fortified drink recipes
|NDR-UK Ref No:||9247|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
Simple information for people at risk of under nourishment on how to fortify drinks. Includes easy to follow recipes.
This product review is on hold while NDR-UK assess the need for information for people needing support getting enough nourishment, and wish to avoid/move away from oral nutritional supplements.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
To support weight gain or weight maintenance for people who are:
- at risk of becoming malnourished
- already malnourished
(based on Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool (MUST) score)
- Know why it is important to have additional energy.
- Know basics of how to enrich normal fluids.
- Be aware of energy and protein values of prescribed supplement drinks.
- Know how to combine liquids to give an equivalent amount of protein and energy to a prescribed supplement.
- Know where to get further help and advice.
Based on good practice and the original the paper Stratton and Marinos (2007), A review of reviews: A new look at the evidence for oral nutritional supplements in clinical practice, Clinical Nutrition Supplements, Volume 2, Issue 1.
- C. Milne, J. Potter, A. Vivanti and A. Avenell. (2009) Protein and energy supplementation in elderly people at risk from malnutrition. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (2) 003288.
- Brotherton A, Simmonds N, Stroud M. Malnutrition Matters: Meeting Quality Standards in Nutritional Care. A report on behalf of the BAPEN Quality Group A report on behalf of the BAPEN Quality Group 2010.
- Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy (COMA). (1991)Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom (Report on Health and Social Subjects No 41). London: The Stationery Office.
- Gibbs Michelle, Baldwin Christine and Weekes Christine Elizabeth. (2012) Supportive interventions for enhancing dietary intake in malnourished or nutritionally at-risk adults. http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD009840/frame.html
- Nice (2006)Nutrition Support in Adults
- SACN (2008) Nutritional wellbeing of the British Population
- SACN (2011) Dietary Reference Values for Energy
- Stratton R. BAPEN Symposium 4 on 'Challenges of enteral feeding from the acute to the community setting' Should food or supplements be used in the community for the treatment of disease-related malnutrition? Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (2005), 64, 325-333
- C E Weekes, P W Emery, M Elia. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Dietary counselling and food fortification in stable COPD: a randomised trial. Thorax 2009.