Eat Well, Heal Well
Eat Well, Heal Well
Please note that you must register or log in to purchase this resource.
|NDR-UK Ref No:||9312|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
BMA Commended. Simple dietary advice for people with pressure sores or leg ulcers.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
To give first line dietary advice to carers of, or people with or at risk of developing pressure ulcers to:
- understand the need to increase their nutritional and fluid intake
- to apply the dietary advice.
- Target Group will understand how to provide increase their energy and protein levels to ensure nutritional adequacy and promote wound healing.
- Target Group will understand and know how to manage key factors that affect wound healing are dehydration, inadequate energy and protein intake.
- Baldwin C & Weekes CE, Dietary Counselling with or without oral nutritional supplements in the management of malnourished patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. 25 (5): 411-26, Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012
- Baldwin C & Weekes CE, Dietary advice with or without oral nutritional supplements for disease related malnutrition in adults. Cochrane database of systematic reviews: 9, 2011.
- Brotherton A, Simmonds N, Stroud, M, Malnutrition matters: meeting quality standards in nutritional care. A report on behalf of the BAPEN quality group. 2010
- Collins J & Porter J, The effect of interventions to prevent and treat malnutrition in patients admitted for rehabilitation: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.28, 1-15 doi:10.1111/jhn.12230. 2015.
- Hisashige A & Ohura T. Cost effectiveness of nutritional intervention on healing of pressure ulcers. Clinical Nutrition 2012: 31 (6):868-874
Junna Ye & Raj Mani. A systematic Review and Meta-analysis of nutritional supplementation in chronic lower extremity wounds. The International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds 2016:15(4):296-302
- Langer G & Fink A. Nutritional interventions for preventing and treating pressure ulcers. Cochrane database of systematic Reviews. 2014: 6 DOI: ID 1002/14651858.CD003216.pub2
- Munk T., Tolstrup U., Beck A.M., Holst M., Rasmussen H.H., Hovhannisyan K. & Thomsen T. Individualised dietary counselling for nutritionally at-risk older patients following discharge from acute hospital to home: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hum Nutr Diet. 29, 196–208. 2016
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and Pan Pacific Pressure injury alliance. Prevention and Treatment of pressure ulcers: Quick reference guide. Emily Haesler (Ed). Cambridge Media, Osborne Park Australia 2014.