How Do I Eat Well when I have Diarrhoea?
How Do I Eat Well when I have Diarrhoea?
|NDR-UK Ref No:||9036|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
Information for people with cancer who are suffering from diarrhoea on how to relieve their symptoms through diet.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
To enable clients and their carers understand how to adapt their diet to cope with a range of side effects associated with their cancer or the treatment and to improve their diet generally.
The Target Group will understand how to adapt their diet to cope with a range of side effects associated with their cancer, its treatment and/or to improve the diet generally for people with eating/appetite difficulties during palliative care/convalescense.
- Abayomi J, Kirwan J, Hackett A. Coping mechanisms used by women in an attempt to avoid symptoms of chronic radiation enteritis. Journal Of Human Nutrition And Dietetics: The Official Journal Of The British Dietetic Association (2009) 22;4: 310-316.
- Eldridge B. Hamilton K. Nutrition for the Person With Cancer
During Treatment: A Guide for Patients and Families (2004) American cancer society
- Fearon K, Barber MD, Moses AG. The cancer cachexia syndrome Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America 2001;10(1):109-26
- Guren M, Tobiassen L, Trygg K, Drevon C, Dueland S. Dietary intake and nutritional indicators are transiently compromised during radiotherapy for rectal cancer. European Journal Of Clinical Nutrition (2006) 60;1: 113-119.
- HOPKINSON J.B. How people with advanced cancer manage changing eating habits. Journal of Advanced Nursing (2007) 59(5), 454–462
- Hutton JL. Martin L. Field CJ.Wismer WV.et al. Dietary patterns in patients with advanced cancer: implications for anorexia-cachexia therapy American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2006 Nov; 84 (5): 1163-70
- Inga M Andrew,Kerry Waterfield, Anthony J Hildreth, Graeme Kirkpatrick, Colette Hawkins, Quantifying the impact of standardized assessment and symptom management tools on symptoms associated with cancer-induced anorexia cachexia syndrome, Palliative Medicine 23(8) 680–688, 2009
- Isenring EA, Bauer JD, Capra S. Nutrition support using the American Dietetic Association medical nutrition therapy protocol for radiation oncology patients improves dietary intake compared with standard practice. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2007 Mar;107(3):404-12
- Iversen PO, Wisløff F, Gulbrandsen N. Reduced nutritional status among multiple myeloma patients during treatment with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell support. Clinical Nutrition 2010 Aug;29 (4):488-91. Epub 2009 Dec 30.
- Levine ME, Gillis MG, Koch SY, Voss AC, Stern RM, Koch KL. Protein and ginger for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced delayed nausea. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008 Jun;14(5):545-51.
- Management of nutrition related side effects Canadian cancer society
http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/managing-side-effects/?region=on (accessed 12/2015)
- Marino Monique J. , Patton Amanda (eds) Cancer Nutrition Services:
A Practical Guide for Cancer Programs The Association of Community Cancer Centers 2012
- Pauloski B, Rademaker A, Logemann J, Newman L, MacCracken E, Stachowiak L, et al. Relationship between swallow motility disorders on videofluorography and oral intake in patients treated for head and neck cancer with radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy Head & Neck (2006) 28;12: 1069-1076.
- Peregrin T.Improving Taste Sensation in Patients Who Have Undergone Chemotherapy or Radiation Therapy Journal of the American dietetic association (2006)106;10:1536-1540
- Ravasco P, Monteiro-Grillo I, Marques Vidal P, Camilo M. Impact of nutrition on outcome: a prospective randomized controlled trial in patients with head and neck cancer undergoing radiotherapy Head & Neck (2005) 27;8: 659-668
- Ravasco P. Moneteiro-grillo I et al Dietary counseling improves patient outcomes: a prospective, randomized, controlled trial in colorectal cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy Journal Clinical Oncology (2005) 1;23(7):1431-8.