Do You Have a Small Appetite?
Do You Have a Small Appetite?
Please note that you must register or log in to purchase this resource.
|NDR-UK Ref No:||9017|
|Publication Format:||A5 leaflet|
A simple leaflet for older and/or frail adults on how to choose food and drinks that promote good health. Developed with BDA Older People Specialist Group.
Advice requires some explanation from a Health Professional who has basic nutrition knowledge to enable correct implementation.
To support healthy eating (primary prevention) - eating healthily to stay healthy. Prevention and management of underweight older adults who have a small appetite and may struggle to eat enough.
- The Target Group will know that nutrition is important for health.
- The Target Group will know why weight loss is happening.
- The Target Group will be able to follow practical suggestions to make meals and snacks more nourishing.
- The Target Group will know who to contact for alternative meals and how to store and freeze for illness and emergencies.
- A review and summary of the impact of malnutrition in older people and the reported costs and benefits of interventions. Malnutrition task force (2013)
- Baldwin Christine and Weekes Christine Elizabeth. Dietary advice with or without oral nutritional supplements for disease-related malnutrition in adults. http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD002008/frame.html Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.(2011)
- BAPEN Treating Malnutrition, BAPEN Webpages 2012
Bower J. Biolo G. et al Evidence-Based Recommendations for Optimal Dietary Protein Intake in Older People: A Position Paper From the PROT-AGE Study Group Journal of the American Medical Directors Association (2013) 14; 8: 542–559
- Briefing paper on the Role of the Dietitian in the Prevention and Management of Nutrition related Disease in the Elderly. EFAD, 2013
- C. Milne, J. Potter, A. Vivanti and A. Avenell. Protein and energy supplementation in elderly people at risk from malnutrition. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (2009);2; 003288.
- Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom (Report on Health and Social Subjects No 41). Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy (COMA). (1991) London: The Stationery Office
- Elia M, Russell C, Combating Malnutrition: Recommendations for Action. Report from advisory group on malnutrition. BAPEN 2009
- Elia M. The MUST Report, Nutritional screening of adults: a multidisciplinary responsibility. BAPEN 2003
Food Choices for increasing your Calorie /Protein Calorie and Protein intake PEN, A PEN 2008
- Gerentology: Key Practice Points, Health Promotion / Prevention Gerentology PEN 2012
- Gibbs Michelle, Baldwin Christine and Weekes Christine Elizabeth. (2012) Supportive interventions for enhancing dietary intake in malnourished or nutritionally at-risk adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD009840/frame.html 2012
- Guest, J. F., Panca, M., Baeyens, J.P., de Man, F., Ljungqvist, O., Pichard, C.,Wait, S & Wilson, L. (2011) ‘Health economic impact of managing patients following a community-based diagnosis of malnutrition in the UK’, Clinical Nutrition, Volume 30, Issue 4 , Pages 422-429, August 2011
- Hodgkinson B, Evans D, and Wood J Maintaining oral hydration in older adults : a systematic review, International Journal of Nursing Practice 2003 ;9 S19: 28
- International Diabetes Federation: global guidelines for managing older people with type 2 diabetes http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/IDF-Guideline-for-older-people-T2D.pdf (2012)
- L. Cawood, M. Elia and R. J. Stratton. (2012) Systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of high protein oral nutritional supplements. Ageing Research Reviews. 11(2) 278-296.
- Medical Nutrition International Industry. Oral Nutritional Supplements to Tackle Malnutrition http://www.medicalnutritionindustry.com/uploads/content/ONS%20dossier%202012/Dossier2012FINAL2012-09-04.pdf 2012
- SACN Iron and Health 2010
- SACN The Nutritional Wellbeing of the British Population 2008
- SACN vitamin D and health report (2016) https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447403/Executive_Summary.pdf
Stratton R. BAPEN Symposium 4 on Challenges of enteral feeding from the acute to the community setting? Should food or supplements be used in the community for the treatment of disease-related malnutrition? Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (2005), 64, 325-333
- The Caroline Walker Trust (2012) Eating well for older people and older people with dementia.
- The nutrition of Elderly People. (Report on Health and Social Subjects No 43.) Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy (COMA). (1992) London: The Stationery Office